Chaplet of Saint Ignatius

Chaplet of Saint Ignatius
If you knew the treasure of God, in sitting in silence with His Word, you would never speak again...received in prayer on January 25, 2012

Friday 23 March 2012

What is the Examen Prayer?

February 16, 2012 (examen prayer entry from my spiritual journal)
This was a lesson in times of desolation.
The Lord brought to mind how yesterday, I felt dizzy because of my cold.  My head  was congested, my ear had pain.  When I woke yesterday morning, I had to hold on to the walls, I was so dizzy.  The room was turning, and I felt nauseous. After I ate breakfast and prayed the rosary, I did some prayer time and felt a bit better.  But still not good.


I persevered in completing our tax returns throughout the day, even though my head felt awful, and I felt weak and unsteady from the head cold. I have been sick for one week now - the cold began last Thursday.


Jack helped me, by doing supper and lunch and cleaning up as well.


I completed all last night, even praying for wisdom concerning our medical expenses, whether it was worth it for $23.30.  After all the work, I felt the Lord leading me to 'keep it simple' and leave it as it is, setting aside the credit for medical expenses.


I felt sick but I wanted to complete the work, and persevered to the end.  At 10pm, all returns were ready for the mail, for both of us, federal and provincial.


Through this the Lord showed me that this is how we should persevere in times of desolation.


We may not have the spiritual strength, energy, or desire. We may feel heavy with fear, doubt, or simply empty, dark, void of desire or hope.  In that time, we will receive, through grace, enough energy to persevere in our prayer time.  The Lord will provide what we need.


And in the end, we may not feel elated, we may still feel the same, but the work will have been brought to completion.


And from the time of desolation, will come a hidden fruit, a nugget, wisdom for another time.


For me it was simply this, a lesson in persevering in times of desolation.  I am encouraged, for I feel at times that I am in desolation, since (a family member's) diagnosis.


And I persevere.  It has been a long year since we first received this diagnosis last February.


I thank the Lord for carrying us through and I continue to pray for her healing.


What is coming to me is that, in difficult times, when struggling in prayer, keep it simple.
This is not the time to strive, in the hope of great revelations.  Keep it simple.




"Bow down, then, before the power of God now, and he will raise you up on the appointed day; unload all your worries on to him, since he is looking after you...You will have to suffer only for a little while: the God of all grace who called you to eternal glory in Christ will see that all is well again: he will confirm, strengthen and support you.  His power lasts for ever and ever.  Amen."  1Peter 5:6,7,10,11




To know more about this method of prayer, see below for an Outline of the Examen, and for links to online video teaching presented by Fr. Timothy Gallagher.


An Outline of the Examen


This outline is based on Ignatius' presentation of the examen in the Spiritual Exercises (no. 43).


Transition:  I become aware of the love with which God looks upon me as I begin this examen.


Step One: Gratitude.  I note the gifts that God's love has given me this day, and I give thanks to God for them.


Step Two: Petition.  I ask God for an insight and a strength that will make this examen a work of grace, fruitful beyond my human capacity alone.


Step Three: Review.  With my God, I review the day.  I look for the stirrings in my heart and the thoughts that God has given me this day.  I look also for those that have not been of God.  I review my choices in response to both, and throughout the day in general.


Step Four: Forgiveness.  I ask for the healing touch of the forgiving God who, with love and respect for me, removes my heart's burdens.


Step Five: Renewal.  I look to the following day and, with God, plan concretely how to live it in accord with God's loving desire for my life.


Transition:  Aware of God's presence with me, I prayerfully conclude the examen.




Fr. Timothy Gallagher on the Examen Prayer
See also links for the Examen Prayer 1st, 2nd, and 3rd steps...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.