Chaplet of Saint Ignatius

Chaplet of Saint Ignatius
If you knew the treasure of God, in sitting in silence with His Word, you would never speak again...received in prayer on January 25, 2012

Friday 25 April 2014

How can I prepare for future desolation?

...last night's course, leading the group through the Examen Prayer...
(taken from my spiritual journal...)

As I looked at my day, my gratitude came from the evening's DVD session.

My heart was touched a few times, but most especially as I listened to Father Gallagher telling the story of the life of Saint Elizabeth Seton.  The part where I felt moved was when he spoke about her experience in the country and how the Lord had filled her with His love, and that she knew God to be her true Father, how she stayed with the Love of His Presence with her.

Each time I hear of the saints' encounters with the Lord, the Lord touches my heart, perhaps to show me how very real His Presence is in my life as well.

As I continued to look back on my day to see where the Lord wanted me to 'stay' a while, I remembered my walk with Jack (my husband) down to the river yesterday.  I also recalled the words the Lord brought to me the day before: to focus my attention on our life as a couple.  He had shown me the previous day that it is very simple, easy, to show my love - as Jack himself said to me years ago and what has stayed with me - that words are easy, but that it is what we do that shows love.  I can take walks with him, cook very simple meals that are pleasing to him, other things as well that are simple but show love and care.

And the Lord said to me that He was pleased:  I had made Jack's almost favourite supper, pizza (a healthy recipe), and also that we had gone for a good walk together.

Now what I understand is that this, my strengthened relationship with Jack, this is where I will be strengthened for the trials ahead.

And I also recall that the Lord has said to me that Jack is the sign to me that I am not alone, and that He is with me.

This is the sign to the world that God gives us in marriage: as my husband is with me, so too God is with me, and will never abandon me.

Thank you Lord Jesus.  You know me more than I know myself.  I have asked you to strengthen me for the trials ahead, and you have shown me that it is in my very relationship with my husband that I will be strengthened for the trials of life.

Thanks be to God!  Amen.

Tenth Rule.  The tenth: let the one who is in consolation think how he will conduct himself in the desolation which will come after, taking new strength for that time. (323)

The Soul of Elizabeth Ann Seton, a Spiritual Autobiography

Discerning Hearts - scroll down to listen to audio teaching on the Tenth Rule, as presented by Fr. Timothy Gallagher

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.