Chaplet of Saint Ignatius

Chaplet of Saint Ignatius
If you knew the treasure of God, in sitting in silence with His Word, you would never speak again...received in prayer on January 25, 2012

Monday 10 March 2014

Dreams and visions in Spiritual Direction

A little background...
First prophecy of the Passion
Jesus began to make it clear to his disciples that he was destined to go to Jerusalem and suffer grievously at the hands of the elders and chief priests and scribes, to be put to death, and to be raised up on the third day. Then, Peter took Jesus aside and said, 'No this must not happen to you.'

How many of us have said the same thing when we heard that something not so good was going to happen, or was happening, to ourselves, or to someone we loved?

And Jesus tells Peter that the way he is thinking is man's way, not God's way.  'If anyone wants to be a follower of mine...let him take up his cross and follow me.'  Matthew 16:21-25

The Transfiguration
" Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain where they could be alone.  Then in their presence he was transfigured: his face shone like the sun and his clothes became as white as the light.  Suddenly Moses and Elijah appeared to them; they were talking with him.  Then Peter spoke to Jesus, 'Lord,' he said 'it is wonderful for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.'  He was still speaking when suddenly a bright cloud covered them with shadow, and from the cloud there came a voice which said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved; he enjoys my favour.  Listen to him.' When they heard this, the disciples fell on their faces, overcome with fear.  But Jesus came up and touched them.  'Stand up,' he said 'do not be afraid.'  And when they raised their eyes they saw no one but only Jesus.

As they came down from the mountain Jesus gave them this order, 'Tell no one about the vision until the Son of Man has risen from the dead'. "
Matthew 17:1-9


How close is heaven and earth!
Only a vision away.

I am always amazed at what transpires in prayer.  The Lord is indeed ever near.

Here, my life is hard.  There is, of course, much joy and beauty - the joy of playing dolls and make-believe with my grandchildren, the joy and love of hugs, my dear husband, my children, my family, my friends - but there is also pain: my daughter-in-law's illness, three years now, and all the ups and downs of daily life.  A plane has disappeared, and the whole world is wondering, and suffering, along with the families and friends of these dear loved ones.

A mystery to us, but not to our God.  May the Truth of Jesus Christ be in this situation for all concerned!

My life too can be mystery.  I don't know what is ahead.

But sometimes, if I am attentive, the Lord will give me a glimpse of something.  It can be as simple as a vision of a sink overflowing because a plate has blocked the dishwasher's flow of water from going down the drain (I didn't pay attention to that one!).  It can be as complex as a dream about a job cut and a letter of farewell dictated in the night.  Read about that one here...

When my Dad died I had a dream.  I dreamed that I was in an empty room.  I had the sense that it was a waiting room.  There were two doors in the room, on opposite sides of each other.  One door opened, and my Dad came into the room.  He came to me and took me into his arms.  I put my arms around him and held onto him.  Not a word was said.  I knew in my dream that he had passed away, but the one thing that was very real to me, was how solid he felt in my arms.  He was real, and I felt very comforted.  Then, just as quietly as he had come, he let go of me and left through the other door.  I knew in my mind that he had to go.  But the peace and comfort of his presence stayed with me.  The next morning, I spoke to  my Mom.  I didn't mention to her right away what had happened to me.

She told me that she had had a dream.

My Dad had come to her.  The room was filled with light.  He took her into his arms and they danced and talked.  It was wonderful she said.  Then he left.

Because of my dream, I was able to be present to my Mom with hers, and to tell her that the Lord loves her so much He gave her this special gift.

We will see my Dad again, but I have here, now - through recollection - a place to feel comfort.  The dream, the vision, is always given for a purpose.  For my Mom and I, it was given for comfort and sustenance, for hope and promise.

As it was for the disciples.

As we begin our Lenten journey, let us ask God to open the eyes of our hearts.

The Lord is very near.

How close is heaven and earth?
Only a vision, a dream, a consolation away.

See Chapter 10. Divine Administrator - A Prophetic Word

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.